Applications are closed for the 2019 intake and will open on 30 May 2019 for the 2020 intake.
Gain a global outlook as you master the complexities of international trade and business
The overall aim of the programme is to equip students with the global business strategy skills needed to understand the challenges and grasp the opportunities that the global business environment offers. This specialised Master's degree in International Business is a specialised degree that will enable you to transform from a traditional business manager into a global business leader who understands the complexities of managing in a global society. You will be able to conduct advanced research into International Business and be an expert in your area of chosen research.
This is a research-intensive course focusing on International Business that articulates to a PhD.
Key focus areas
The following core courses are covered in year one: (May - November 2020)
- Competitive global business strategy;
- States and markets in the global political economy;
- International business and emerging markets; and
- Managing the multinational corporation.
Requirements during year two: (Jan - November 2021)
- You will need to select four electives from the 40 offered on the MBA programme based on your areas of interest;
- Introduction to Research Methodology - culminates in your research proposal; and
- Research Report in the area of International Business (hand in early November 2020).
There will be an option for students to pay an additional fee to be part of the International Consulting Module or the Global Module with the MBA students should you wish to participate. (This option is each students preference and not a compulsory element of the programme)
Application fee: R3 000 (non-refundable, payable on application)
Registration fee: R17 000 (non-refundable, payable on acceptance to the programme offset against total tuition fees.)
Total tuition fees: R157 464 (The fee is all inclusive and covers text books, course material and meals on campus.)
Administration fee for students from countries outside South Africa: R5 000
Please note that GIBS does not charge VAT on tuition fees.
Applications open: 30 May 2019
Applications close: 24 March 2020
Class will commence in May 2020
MPHIL INT BUSINESS ADMISSIONS PROCESS - download
GMAT Information - download for non-degreed applicants/NQF 7 and lower.
NMAT - Applicants are welcome to submit NMAT scores in addition to the GMAT.
NMAT by GMAC - download the information pack
Request for Proforma Invoice - Click here
Please note this is only for quotation purposes. No payment can be made against a quotation.
Tax Invoices will only be issued once you have been accepted onto the programme.
- A minimum of an Honours degree or equivalent (NQF 8) in Business/Business related field/Professional qualification cognate to this degree such as a 4 year degree in Engineering or Law.
- Minimum 5 years work experience preferably with exposure to the international business environment
- GIBS Entrance test or GMAT if non-degreed (min score 550)
- 500 word essay on a specific international business topic (Click here to access essay topic)
International Students/Foreign Qualifications
Applicants who hold a foreign qualification need to send their qualifications to the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) for evaluation before applying to GIBS. We require the SAQA certificate to verify the NQF level of your qualification.
Visit saqa.org.za or email firstname.lastname@example.org Alternatively, you can call:012 431 5070 or the helpdesk on: 0860 111 673
If you have a special need, GIBS will look into accommodating this. However, it is a requirement that the student will need to provide medical certificates and supporting documentation as requested by the GIBS Admissions Office. To request special needs assistance, please contact the Admissions Office before you complete your application.
Observant students must contact the GIBS Admissions Office to ascertain how their specific needs may be accommodated.