The Gordon Institute of Business Science, a division of the University of Pretoria ("GIBS", "our" or "us") is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
What types of Personal Data do we Process?
The types of Personal Data that we may Process includes information necessary for our legitimate business interests and the categories of personal information identified in relevant data protection laws in the Republic of South Africa. This may include personal information which contains identifiable information such as (amongst other things) your first and last name, identity number, email address, postal address, telephone numbers, date of birth, and information related to your educational history ("Personal Data").
We will attempt to limit the types of Personal Data we Process to only that to which you consent and which is necessary for our legitimate business interests. Should you not consent to providing Personal Data which is necessary for us in our legitimate interests, we reserve the right to not provide a Service.
How and when does GIBS collect Personal Data?
GIBS will collect your Personal Data in several ways, including:
- when you make use of the Services and Content on the Website;
- when you browse the Website;
- when we carry out demographic research;
- when you register an account on the website;
- should you be registered on a course, on the online learner support systems;
- when you give us information or supporting documents which we ask for on the Website;
- with your consent when you participate in peer or research activities;
- when you respond to us in written or electronic format such as through email or facsimile as required through interactions with us; and
- When you join or participate on social networks with GIBS-related groups, or with content considered public domain such as Twitter hashtags.
When you visit our Website, our web server also automatically records the name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the website from which you visit us, the pages on our sites you visit and in what sequence, and the date and length of your visit. This information is aggregate and anonymous data and does not identify you specifically.
How does GIBS use your Personal Data?
We may use your Personal Data to:
- provide services you request;
- to retain and make available to you information or via the Website;
- as a registered user, to notify and authenticate your identity when you view and access the designated area of the Website or other supporting databases such as student records;
- to verify your identity on the Website;
- allow you to participate in recreational activities on the Website or Learner Management Systems (e.g. participate in our message boards);
- inform you of changes made to our Website;
- inform you of additional services, courses, seminars, programmes offered by us which you may find interesting;
- respond to any queries you may have;
- develop a more direct relationship with you for the purposes described in this section;
- develop an online user profile;
- understand general user trends and patterns so we can develop and support existing and ongoing marketing strategies for our services;
- facilitate our legitimate business interests;
- with consent, as aggregate data for academic research; and
- for security, administrative and legal purposes.
An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a computer whenever it is connected to the Internet. We log IP addresses, or the location of computers on the Internet.
We collect IP addresses for the purposes of system administration and to audit the use of the Website. We do not ordinarily link IP addresses to personal information, which means that your session may remain anonymous. However, we cannot guarantee that this will always be the case, as it may be necessary to identify a particular user when it is necessary to enforce compliance with the Terms or to protect our Website, its users or other interests.
What about Personal Data that is publicly available?
Will my Personal Data be used for marketing purposes?
If we obtain your prior consent, we may use your Personal Data for the purposes of:
- direct marketing of our own services and on behalf of other companies within GIBS;
- research marketing; and
- direct marketing of products and services on behalf of selected third parties, if you have agreed to your details being passed onto third parties.
You are entitled to request that we desist from using your Personal Data for the purposes of direct marketing, and we will provide you with the necessary functionality for you to do so with ease, each time we market to you.
What security measures are in place to protect my Personal Data?
Although absolute security cannot be guaranteed on the Internet, we have in place up-to-date, reasonable technical and organisational security measures to protect your Personal Data against accidental or intentional manipulation, loss, misuse, destruction or against unauthorised disclosure or access to the information we Process online.
While we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any Personal Data you provide us, we will continue to maintain and improve these security measures over time in line with legal and technological developments.
How will GIBS store my Personal Data?
We store your Personal Data in a customer relationship management database located in GIBS’ server rooms in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The Website is hosted on cloud services in Ireland, however the Personal Data is securely transferred and not cached on the portal.
Should you be a student, Personal Data may also be stored in our Learner Management System (Blackboard) hosted in Europe.
Should you be a debtor, relevant Personal Data will be stored in our Financial Management system in Johannesburg.
Should you consent to being a direct marketing subject, only your Electronic contact data will be provided to our marketing platform (Rocketseed) hosted in Johannesburg.
If the location of the central database is located in a country that does not have substantially similar laws which provide for the protection of personal data, we will take the necessary steps to ensure that your Personal Data is adequately protected in that jurisdiction.
Will my Personal Data be shared with anyone else?
While we will attempt not to disclose any of your personal information to third parties, we may disclose your Personal Data to the following entities:
- Blackboard for hosting purposes
- Microsoft (LLC) for hosting purposes
- Hoorah Digital (social media marketing)
- The Digital Phantom (social media marketing)
- ByDesign Communications (social media marketing)
- Rocketseed Pty (Ltd) for marketing purposes
- Turn Left Media (representing LinkedIn)
- Masterstart (education administration services provider)
- Algorithm Agency (marketing campaign reporting)
Except when we have your permission or for purposes of our legitimate business interests, we do not guarantee that your personal information will not be shared with third parties without your permission.
You agree that your de-identified aggregate personal information may be shared under the following circumstances:
- to our holding companies, subsidiary companies, agents, advisers, service providers and suppliers;
to monitor web traffic: web servers serving the Website automatically collect information about pages you visit. This information is used for internal review, to tailor information to individual visitors and for traffic audits. This information (as well as information from third-party market researchers), on an aggregated, anonymous basis, is provided to advertisers advertising on the Website. Should you provide personal information online as part of an online advertising promotion or in order to access a third party service, such information may be provided directly to the advertiser or the third party concerned;
promotions: many promotions offer opportunities to request additional information from sponsors or third parties. When you request more information about a particular promotion, your e-mail address may be shared with the sponsor of that promotion;
for statistics and advertisement purposes: we may perform statistical analyses in order to measure interest in the various areas of the Website (for product development purposes) and to inform advertisers as to how many consumers have seen or "clicked" on their advertising banners. We may also use aggregated demographic information to allow advertising banners on the Website to be targeted, in aggregate.
- government and law enforcement agencies: where the law requires that we disclose your personal information to a party, and where we have reason to believe that a disclosure of personal information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against a party who may be in breach of the Terms or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, other users, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities.
How can I find out what Personal Data GIBS holds about me?
To see the Personal Data we have Processed through this Website that relates to you, to cancel it and/or to correct or update this Personal Data, please email us on the compliance details published under Support & Legal at
https://www.gibs.co.za/pages/contact.aspx. In addition, we will always give you the opportunity to update your preferences regarding our use of your Personal Data.
You will also have the right to object, at any time, to the Processing of your Personal Data and lodge a complaint with the regulatory authorities pursuant to any applicable data protection legislation.
To protect your privacy and security we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access. If you have any additional questions about Personal Data we hold about you, please contact us on the compliance details published under Support & Legal at
Use of the Website by children
The Website is not targeted at children under the age of 18. We will not knowingly collect information from persons in this age group.
How can I contact GIBS?