Academic excellence proved itself once again when University of Pretoria's (UP) Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) recently held its formal graduation ceremony and conferred 489 degrees and diplomas to the Master in Business Administration (MBA), Post-graduate Diploma in Business Administration (PDBA) and Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) class of 2015.
The event was held in the Aula theatre at UP's main campus in Hatfield and was compered by Professor Cheryl De la Rey, vice chancellor at UP.
Numerous awards were presented to top students from the different graduating classes:
- Overall top full time MBA cum laude award went to Maurice Shapiro with 17 distinctions;
- Tertia Barrett, Best Dissertation, Full Time MBA;
- Suzanne Myburgh, overall top part-time/modular research award with 7 distinctions;
- Bradley Carter and Hayley Owens from the part-time and modular MBA class who accomplished 10 and 11 distinctions respectively; and
- Kelly Alexander from the PDBA class who graduated cum laude with seven distinctions.
Dean of GIBS, Professor Nicola Kleyn congratulated the graduates and told them it was time to put their learnings into practice, "Congratulations to the all graduates. We believe that we have equipped graduates with leadership skills that will help them lead businesses with grit, integrity and make a positive impact on our society."
GIBS prides itself as having top academic programmes in the country, this includes the flagship MBA programme which has been both locally and internationally ranked and accredited. "We continually work hard at improving our offering, as a business school that prides itself as being close to business, we continually thrive to become the leading business school in South Africa and ultimately have impact on the rest of the continent," added Prof Kleyn.