New market strategies in the cut-throat recording industry
Digital disruption is causing massive upheavals to industries, shaking business models, value chains, ecosystems, processes, innovation and organisational structures across industries. The music industry is no exception with dramatic changes to how consumers and producers view and use the industry.
Music files are easily attainable for a small fee or downloaded illegally forcing the industry to reevaluate how profits are made. At the same time new technologies are allowing upcoming artists to make a name for themselves without the backing of a major record labels. This forum unpacks the nuances of music entrepreneurship and new market strategies in the cut-throat recording industry.
- Zakes Bantwini, musician and founder, Mayonie Productions;
- AKA, multi-awarding winning rapper and co-founder of Beam Group;
- Slikour, founder, SlikourOnLife;
- Lindelani Mkhize, founder of Joyous Celebration (platinum selling, multi-award
winning gospel choir);
- Nic Burger, head of digital marketing at Universal Africa; and
- Paul Thackwray, market development manager - Sub Saharan Africa at Apple.
Cocktails will be served after the event.
Please note that GIBS forums are filmed for City Press and BDTV
Want to attend but can't afford to? email firstname.lastname@example.org for one of the limited free seats available.