How do we fight corruption, poverty and unemployment?
How can leaders from government, business and other societal stakeholders – work together more effectively, building trust and generating collective impact? What role does ethics play in the complex and elusive pursuit of investment, development and prosperity? And how, in the face of pressures and temptations, can leaders develop the moral courage to behave responsibly and do what is right?
Join the GIBS Ethics and Governance Think Tank for a post-Budget conversation with the Deputy Finance Minister, Mr Mcebisi Hubert Jonas.
- Registration: 17:45-18:00
- Start: 18:00
- Ends: 19:30
- Cocktails served after the event
Deputy Minister Mcebisi Hubert Jonas was born in 1960 in Uitenhage in the Eastern Cape. He matriculated at Newewell High School in Port Elizabeth and obtained a Bachelor of Arts in History & Sociology at Vista University. He furthered his studies with a Higher Diploma in Education at Rhodes University.
A born activist, Mr Jonas became active in politics from the age of 14. He led a number of political activities in the Port Elizabeth area and launched underground structures in the Eastern Cape and beyond. He was inspired by the politics of the Black Consciousness Movement in the early 80’s and was an organiser of Azaso (Azanian Students Organisation). He played a key role in the establishment of the United Democratic Front (UDF) structures in the Eastern Cape, escaping the hit squads many times. He was later sent to exile to complete military training in Angola and Uganda for the People’s Army, Umkhonto Wesizwe (MK). While in exile he was employed by the United Nations to run an education program for the Mkhonto Wesizwe (MK) cadres.
Upon his return in the 90’s, Mr Jonas played a key role in establishing the structures of the ANC and the SACP in the Eastern Cape. Recognising his outstanding skills, the ANC deployed him to establish the new Provincial administration in the Eastern Cape at the dawn of democracy in 1994. He has been a member of the Eastern Cape ANC Provincial Executive Committee for two terms (1997-2004 and 2007-2009).PROFESSIONAL CAREER OF MR. MCEBISI JONAS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING
- Member of the Executive Council (EXCO responsible for Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism (2009-2014). This involved providing political oversight to a number of economic public entities.
- Member of the Executive Council (EXCO) responsible for Finance 2009-2010
- Chair of the Portfolio Committee for Human Settlement (EC Legislature) 2007-2009
- 2000-2005 Chief Executive Officer: Eastern Cape Development Corporation (tasked with the amalgamation of the then Transkei Development Corporation, Ciskei Development Corporation, Ciskei Peoples Bank and other smaller development institutions).
- 1999-2000 Chief Executive Officer: Centre for the Investment Marketing of the Eastern Cape (CIMEC)-(developing the investment promotion agenda which resulted in the establishment of the ECDC, Coega IDZ and the ELIDZ).
- 1997-1999 Chief Executive Officer: Eastern Cape Socio-Economic Consultative Council
- Regional Director: SACHED.
- General Manager: AFESIS Corplan (PTY) Ltd ,tasked with providing capacity and support for development planning in the Eastern Cape
Additional Training & Courses Completed
- Worked for Kagiso Trust in Port Elizabeth as a researcher involved in assessing and re-designing community projects and programs for possible funding;
- Employed as an Eastern Cape Provincial Coordinator by Sached Trust in East London taking an instrumental role in setting up a number of forums that dealt with challenges faced by education institutions and learners;
- Providing planning and strategic capacity to the ANC
- Established both the Coega IDZ and the ELIDZ
- Marketing Course: University of Cape Town
- Investment and Trade Promotion: Ireland Development Agency
- Investment and Trade Promotion: Singapore Development Agency
- Managing Investment and Trade Programs: Malaysian Development Agency
- Development Planning: GTZ