GIBS’ Personal and Applied Learning looks after several initiatives that promote individual development and effectiveness.
GIBS programmes are known for academic rigour and customisation to business context. GIBS believes that to be truly world class, individual development, learning and effectiveness should also be a significant component of every learning experience in management education.
Individuals learn best when the experience is personalised and meaningful and can be usefully applied in one’s roles and career for valued results. Personal and Applied Learning was designed to leverage current theory and best practice in personal development approaches so that individuals can optimise their learning experience and apply this learning in the most impactful ways.
PAL has differentiated GIBS as an expert in personalising learning experiences. Current research and global standards of excellence are benchmarked in personalised learning approaches on our programmes. PAL also contributes to the body of knowledge in personal learning, through academic research, journal publications, media and conference representation and relevant (local and international) professional memberships.
Selecting the best faculty
The ‘Personal and Applied learning’ (PAL) faculty are personal development coaches, action learning coaches, learning integration experts and facilitators. Their expertise lies in a deep understanding of the processes of human growth, learning and change. GIBS has over 100 of the best ‘learning process’ faculty to meet the demands for personalised learning experiences at GIBS. The Professional Associates are GIBS top professional process faculty, the majority of whom have master’s degree, have experience in business and have been coaches or facilitators at the highest level for 5-10 years. Regular community colloquia are run every few weeks for these groups of faculty.
By designing the best personalised learning processes:
Each type of programme (academic, executive and corporate) uses personalised learning in different ways. PAL designs and embeds approaches to optimise individual learning on programmes:
- Individual (Business and Executive) Coaching
- Group coaching for Personal Development (in open learning groups)
- Team coaching for Action Learning Projects (ALP’s)
- Learning Integration (throughout a programme), with an experienced Learning Integrator
- Inputs: Assessments that promote personal insight (for example personality assessments, 360 degree questionnaires and many others);
- Processes: coaching and learning processes that promote awareness and action; and
- Outputs: such as ‘Personal development plans’ that support goal setting and accountability.
PAL also delivers several unique and established programmes including:
- The GIBS Professional Business Coaching programme: This is an ICF (International Coaching Federation) approved coaching programme that equips delegates to become accredited professional coaches through the ICF.
- GIBS runs stand-alone, managed, executive Coaching Processes for select clients, usually for their senior managers or executive teams). * Online career mentorship: the free online career portal: “neXt” (www.next.gibs.co.za) for managers has 13 guided reflection tools to help an individual assess and design self-directed ‘Personal Career Plans’ and goals with recommendations and individual reports. This Career Portal can also be white labelled for corporate clients who can integrate it into their talent or career management platforms.
- Career Development Programmes for managers in transition –These programme help individuals plan and direct their management careers by guiding the design of a Personal Career Development Plan. These programmes are facilitated learning journeys positioned at three levels of management career transition. In-house versions of these programmes are also run for corporate clients.
- Career Insights: monthly forum-style evening panel events that help managers to manage their careers for high impact.