| Small Business Boost 2.0 Programme - 60 scholarships available |
|Entrepreneurship education for those in the green economy*|
*Defined according to UNEP as; a greater efficiency in the use of energy, water, and materials is a core objective i.e. achieving the same economic output (and level of well being) with far less material input. Specifically, but not exclusively, this includes jobs that help to protect ecosystems and biodiversity; reduce energy, materials, and water consumption through high efficiency strategies; de-carbonise the economy; and minimise or altogether avoid generation of all forms of waste and pollution.
The Small Business Boost 2.0 Programme aims to promote small business growth and job creation for those involved in providing solutions for the green economy. The programme will provide 10 months (block release fashion conducive to the demands placed on entrepreneurs' time) of practical business and management education as well as mentorship and support services to 60 small businesses across Gauteng, Western Cape, and KZN provinces. It seeks to empower entrepreneurs with the knowledge, skills and resources to grow in this niche sector.
The programme is funded and is therefore offered as a scholarship to the successful entrepreneur candidate. A refundable commitment fee will be charged which is repaid upon graduation from the programme.
In order to apply, entrepreneurs must fulfil the following criteria:
- Operate within the manufacturing/green-economy sector in Gauteng, Western Cape, and KZN provinces;
- Be a South African citizen;
- Have been in operation for at least one year;
- Have an annual turnover of between R200 000 – R20 million;
- Employ at least one additional person other than the full-time business owner; and
- Work in the business full-time and have minimum 35% shareholding.
| Additional Info |
There are two days of classes offered in a block release fashion to allow the entrepreneur to continue with the demands of running a business. Support services are offered concurrently to allow for the immediate implementation of practical concepts and tools back in the business. Classes start in June 2018.
During this time, entrepreneurs will attend academic classroom-based sessions; receive mentorship and support from entrepreneurial coaches; engage in dialogue sessions; attend field visits to industry leaders, participate in a Shark Tank-like presentation, and join a network of over 150 graduates of the programme.
How you will benefit:
- Foresee and address challenges faced by businesses in this niche sector;
- Communicate and market the value of your solution;
- Anticipate and manage change better;
- Navigate the supply chain of big businesses;
- Approach financing for growth using unique modelling techniques relevant to the sector;
- Learn how to overcome challenges using cutting-edge business management strategies relevant to the sector; and
- Identify strategic growth opportunities that exist across the rest of the continent.
- Business training will take place in-province (around four days per month) on the subjects of business modelling and planning, marketing, finance, operations management, leadership skills and new business development as is relevant to the green economy;
- of support services, including monthly mentorship sessions and coaching circles, access to capital through financing partnerships, networking events, access to new markets and peer learning opportunities;
- Field visits, soft skills workshops, and entrepreneur guest lectures; and
- Four dialogue events with the manufacturing/green economy sector to share perspectives on sector challenges.
For enquiries contact Fazlyn Toeffie here Shortlisted candidates, who meet the selection criteria, will be contacted for an interview before the announcement of the 100 scholarship recipients is made.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- If you have attended any other scholarship opportunity offered by the EDA, your application will not be considered for this opportunity.