Your use of the Website (as defined below) is subject to these terms and conditions ("Terms"). Please read these Terms carefully before using this Website.
All of the terms and conditions in the Terms are important, but please pay special attention to the parts that are inside a box with bold writing. These parts contain information about the Terms that have special consequences for you.
What do these terms and conditions regulate?
This site [www.gibs.co.za] ("Website") is made available by the Gordon Institute of Business Science, a division of the University of Pretoria ("GIBS", "we", "our" or "us"). Any reference to "GIBS", "we", "our" or "us" includes our employees, officers, directors, representatives, agents, shareholders, affiliates, subsidiaries, holding companies, related entities, advisers, sub-contractors, service providers and suppliers.
These Terms apply to any person who uses, accesses, refers to, views and/or downloads the information made available by us on the Website for whatever purpose ("Content") (hereinafter referred to as "users" or "you" or "your"). The display of Content and your ability to view, access, use, and/or download the Content on the Website shall be referred to as the "Services".
Your agreement to these Terms
These Terms may be updated or amended by us at any time in our sole discretion. If you continue to access or use the Website and/or our Content after amendments are made and displayed, you will be deemed to have accepted these changes.
You may print a copy of these Terms. If you have any difficulty printing these Terms or require assistance in obtaining a hard copy or electronic copy of these Terms, you should contact our technical support team, contact details for whom can be found on
www.gibs.co.za/pages/contact.aspx under Support & Legal.
Accessing and the use of the Services
You agree that you are solely responsible for obtaining and maintaining all facilities, services, products and equipment which may be required by you to use the Website and the Services. You must, at all times, provide your own hardware, software as well as internet connectivity and telecommunications infrastructure.
We do not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on the Website, and we may, at our sole discretion, remove any infringing Content if we are of the view that such Content infringes on another's intellectual property rights.
Hyperlinks provided on this Website to non-GIBS sites, are provided "as is" and GIBS does not necessarily agree with, edit or sponsor the content on such websites. No person, business or website may frame this Website or any of the pages on this Website in any way whatsoever.
The Website and the Services available through the Website may contain links to other third party websites, including (without limitation) social media platforms ("Third Party Websites"). If you link to Third Party Websites, you may be subject to those Third Party Websites’ terms and conditions and other policies. We do not in any way whatsoever endorse or take responsibility for the content, privacy policies and views expressed in or by any Third Party Websites.
Accuracy of Information
Whilst all reasonable and foreseeable steps and precautions have been taken to ensure the accuracy of all of the Content available on the Website, the Content is intended and produced for general information purposes only, and to the extent allowed by law, should not be relied upon by you as specific advice of any kind.
You understand and agree that the information, details and descriptions set out on this Website, including (without limitation) the details regarding the academic programmes, executive courses, faculties, centres, alumni, students, events and news, may change from time to time. This Website may therefore not always contain the correct or most up-to-date information, details and descriptions relating to our Services. You are advised to contact us on the details provided at www.gibs.co.za/pages/contact.aspx before using or relying on the information on the Website.
You acknowledge that any information, ideas and opinions expressed on the Website is not intended to, and does not, constitute professional advice or a replacement or substitute for professional advice of any nature whatsoever.
This paragraph 4 constitutes an assumption of risk and/or liability by you and limits and excludes liabilities, obligations and legal responsibility which we will have towards you and other persons. This paragraph 4 also limits and excludes your rights and remedies against us and places various risks, liabilities, obligations and legal responsibilities on you. Please ensure that you have read and understood the terms in this paragraph 4.
Your behaviour when using the Website and the Services
You may not use the Website to obtain or distribute:
- copyrighted material or material protected by law without our prior written consent; or
- material containing viruses or any other destructive materials or data or code which is able to corrupt, interfere with, jeopardise, disrupt, disable, harm or otherwise impede in any manner the operation of a computer system or hardware or software.
You must not perform any act which may jeopardise or interfere with the functionality or the operation of any part of the Website or our Services.
You are strictly prohibited from using the Website for "spoofing", "hacking", "flaming", "cracking", "phishing" or "spamming" or any other activity designed or aimed at achieving purposes similar or the same as the aforementioned acts.
You shall not intercept any information transmitted to or from us or the Website which is not intended by us to be received by you.
Subject to the further provisions of these Terms, the Website and the Content may only be used by you for lawful purposes and shall not extend to the use of the source code of the Website or the Content.
Subject to the further provisions of these Terms, you are not allowed to: (i) frame, modify, distribute, commercialise, exploit and/or alter the Website or the Content; (ii) incorporate any part of the Content in any other work or publication; and/or (iii) perform any other act which may not be considered fair use.
You are permitted to create a hyperlink to the home page of the Website so long as the link does not portray us, our employees, affiliates or agents in a false, confusing, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise offensive manner or in any way associate us with any derogatory or otherwise offensive content. You also agree to ensure that any hyperlink to the home page of the Website is clearly visible.
Any restrictions on the use of the Website or the Content shall also apply to any part of the Website or the Content which may be cached when using the Website or the Content.
In addition, you shall not and shall not allow a third party to:
- decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer or attempt to reconstruct or discover any source code, underlying ideas, algorithms, file formats, programming of the software forming part of the Website and/or the Content ("the Software") or any files contained in or generated by the Software by any means whatever;
- remove any product identification, copyright or other notices, from the Software or documentation;
- lend to a third party or use any portion of the Software (whether or not modified or incorporated with other software) on or with any machine or system other than your practice's hardware; or
- disseminate performance information or analysis of the Software from any source relating to the Software.
Intellectual Property Rights
We reserve all rights (including all intellectual property rights) not expressly granted herein to the Website and the Content we make available on or via the Website.
You agree to not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the Content other than as expressly permitted herein, including any use, copying, or distribution of Content of third parties obtained through the Website for any commercial purposes. If you download or print a copy of the Content for personal use, you must retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained therein.
You agree not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security related features of the Website or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on the use of the Website or the Content therein. All moral rights of GIBS and its employees/agents are reserved.
Any reproduction, modification, creation of derivative works from or redistribution of the Website, the Content, or the collective work or compilation is expressly prohibited. Copying or reproducing the Website, the Content, or any portion thereof to any other server or location for further reproduction or redistribution is expressly prohibited.
You may not decompile or disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover any source code contained in the Services. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes, any aspect of the Services.
Collection of Personal Information
You agree and warrant that:
- the data you provide is your own and not falsified, and that you are responsible for ensuring the information contained is accurate and up to date;
- the username and password is your personal account and shall not be distributed to any other party;
- you will ensure that the password follows good security guidelines; and
- should you become aware of any breach of security or suspicious activity with regard to your data provided to us you will notify GIBS immediately on the compliance details which are provided under Support & Legal at
As far as the law allows, you agree to defend, indemnify us and hold us and our officers, subsidiaries, holding companies, affiliates, successors, assigns, directors, officers, agents, service providers, suppliers, and employees harmless from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorneys' fees) arising from:
- your use of and access to the Website and/or the Services;
- your violation of any term of these Terms;
- your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, trademark, trade secret or other property, or privacy right; or
- any claim that your content caused damage to a third party. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive termination, modification or expiration of these Terms and your use of the Services and the Website.
This paragraph 8 constitutes an assumption of risk and/or liability by you and limits and excludes liabilities, obligations and legal responsibility which we will have towards you and other persons. This paragraph 8 also limits and excludes your rights and remedies against us and places various risks, liabilities, obligations and legal responsibilities on you. Please ensure that you have read and understood the terms in this paragraph 8.
Limitation of Liability
Subject to paragraph 9.2 below, and as far as the law allows, neither us nor any of our agents, officers, subsidiaries, holding companies, affiliates, successors, assigns, directors, service providers, suppliers, employees or representatives shall be liable for any damage, loss or liability of whatsoever nature arising from the use or inability to use the Website or the Services or content provided from and through the Website. Furthermore, we make no representations or warranties, implied or otherwise, that, amongst others, the Content and technology available from the Website are free from errors or omissions or that the Services will be 100% uninterrupted and error free.
As far as the law allows, no provision of these Terms (or any contract governed by these Terms):
- does or purports to limit or exempt us from any liability (including, without limitation, for any loss directly or indirectly attributable to our gross negligence or wilful default or that of any other person acting for or controlled by us) to the extent that the law does not allow such a limitation or exemption; and
- 9requires you to assume risk or liability, to the extent that the law does not allow such an assumption of risk or liability.
This paragraph 9 constitutes an assumption of risk and/or liability by you and limits and excludes liabilities, obligations and legal responsibility which we will have towards you and other persons. This paragraph 9 also limits and excludes your rights and remedies against us and places various risks, liabilities, obligations and legal responsibilities on you. Please ensure that you have read and understood the terms in this paragraph 9.
Exclusion of warranties and representations
As far as the law allows, the Website and the Services are provided without any representation or warranty whatsoever, whether express, implied or statutory, including (without limitation) any representation or warranty as to the operation, integrity, compatibility, availability or functionality of the Website or as to the operation, accuracy, completeness, integrity, compatibility, availability functionality or reliability of the Content.
This paragraph 10 constitutes an assumption of risk and/or liability by you and limits and excludes liabilities, obligations and legal responsibility which we will have towards you and other persons. This paragraph 10 also limits and excludes your rights and remedies against us and places various risks, liabilities, obligations and legal responsibilities on you. Please ensure that you have read and understood the terms in this paragraph 10.
These Terms, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be transferred or assigned by you. We may, at any time, transfer or assign any or all of our rights and obligations under these Terms. We will notify you if we assign any rights or obligations to a third party. We do not have to inform you where we assign any rights or obligations to any of our affiliates or sub-contractors which we may appoint.
Successors and assigns
These Terms shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon each party's successors and assigns.
Violation of Terms
By using the Website and/or the Services and accepting these Terms, you agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures and other communications sent by you or GIBS satisfy any legal requirements, including but not limited to the requirement that such communications should be "in writing". For the purposes of this paragraph, a "data message" means data generated, sent, received or stored by electronic means.
You agree specifically that:
- the agreement will be treated as if it was concluded at our physical address on the date on which you first made any use of the Website and/or Services;
- any data message sent by either you or us to the other will be deemed to have been sent from our physical address if neither your usual place of business nor residence is located within South Africa;
- subject to the further provisions of these Terms, any communication sent to you by an information system programmed to operate automatically on our behalf will be a data message attributable to, or authorised by us; and
- subject to the further provision of these Terms, a data message sent by you to us will only be treated as having been received by us when an acknowledgement of receipt is sent by us personally or a person who had authority to act on our behalf in respect of that data message.
The Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 25 of 2002 states that when goods or services are offered by way of electronic transactions, the seller must make certain information available to customers on websites where the goods or services are offered. This information is set out below:
- Full name and registration number: Gordon Institute of Business Science
- Main business address of receipt for legal service: 26 Melville Road, Illovo, Johannesburg, 2196
- Office bearers (directors):
- Professor Tawana Kupe – Vice-Chancellor and Principal of the University of Pretoria
- Dr Morris Mthombeni – Interim Dean, Gordon Institute of Business Science, University of Pretoria
Consumer Protection Act
If these Terms (or any contract governed by these Terms) or the Services provided and/or made available on the Website are regulated by or subject to the Consumer Protection Act 68 of 2008, as may be amended from time to time (the "Consumer Protection Act"), it is not intended that any provision of these Terms contravene any provision of the Consumer Protection Act. Therefore all provisions of these Terms must be treated as being qualified, to the extent necessary, to ensure that the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act are complied with.
No provision of these Terms (or any contract governed by these Terms):
- does or purports to limit or exempt us from any liability (including, without limitation, for any loss directly or indirectly attributable to our gross negligence or wilful default or that of any other person acting for or controlled by us) to the extent that the law does not allow such a limitation or exemption;
- requires you to assume risk or liability for the kind of liability or loss, to the extent that the law does not allow such an assumption of risk or liability; or
- limits or excludes any warranties or obligations which are implied into these Terms (or any contract governed by these Terms) by the Consumer Protection Act (to the extent applicable) or which we give under the Consumer Protection Act (to the extent applicable), to the extent that the law does not allow them to be limited or excluded.
Interpretation and miscellaneous provisions
These Terms and the relationship between us shall be governed and construed in accordance with South African law. Any disputes arising in connection with these Terms and our Services shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located in Johannesburg, South Africa. Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the Terms is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid (including, without limitation, because such provision is inconsistent with the laws of another jurisdiction) or inapplicable, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision.
The termination of any contract created by these Terms will be without prejudice to any other rights or remedies that you or we may be entitled to under the agreement or at law, and will not affect any of our or your accrued rights or liabilities nor the coming into or continuance in force of any provision of these Terms which is expressly or by implication intended to come into or continue in force on or after such termination.
How to contact us